Author Topic: Knoppix Boots Faster Than XP  (Read 467 times)

anphanax

• Kudos: 11
    • http://june.tripod.com
Knoppix Boots Faster Than XP
« on: 6 October 2003, 05:11 »
On my computer, knoppix boots faster than Windows XP Pro (667 Mhz Celeron). I think that's pretty interesting considering how it boots from the CD.. (also how XP just gives me a blank screen for like 4 minutes before going to the login, and yes, thats after the logo shows, i don't have that disabled)

erosnemesis

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 6 October 2003, 10:56 »
WHen i still used windows i also got that big blank screen for like 2-5 minutes but now that i use RedHat linux 9.0 i never have problems. And by the way, where did you get knoppix?
"If money isnt made from trees, then why do banks have branches"

Windows_SuX_@$$

« Reply #2 on: 6 October 2003, 11:42 »
Yes, Knoppix is great (I got it on my HD    )
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBBCode Images are permitted.

TB

« Reply #3 on: 8 October 2003, 11:26 »
I too think Knoppix is surprisingly speedy for an OS that runs off CD.....unfortunately my MoBo's onboard sound isnt supported and I get that annoying sound glitch. I've been meaning to save up for a proper soundcard (any recommendations for something that wont cause any problems???).....but that's kinda hard being unemployed. Ho hum. Guess I'll have to wait.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #4 on: 8 October 2003, 11:52 »
if you can find it, the SoundBlaster 16 PCI is a damn good deal. I got mine like three years ago for $35

I think they're about $15 now. it was supported by Red Hat 5 and 6, so it'll work
Go the fuck ~

JesusRocks

• http://X11.ROCKS.IT
« Reply #5 on: 8 October 2003, 11:52 »
I have slack 9 which boots faster then XP on my system (PIII 850)