Author Topic: Many Questions here, Please answer!!!!  (Read 854 times)

cwedl

• Kudos: 0
Many Questions here, Please answer!!!!
« on: 9 April 2003, 13:48 »
When I switch to Apple this september, I will need a word processing package that will allow me insert pictures and stuff have a good spell checker and that is easy to use. I have been use to Microsoft office all my life but I don't want Microsoft Office v.x, to come near my mac, What do all of you use???

Is text Edit good to use? Appleworks? ?????

For presentations I will use Keynote!!!!!    

And also, With the panther version of os x coming out, will it just have safari, and NOT Microsoft Internet Explorer?

What do you think Of Ipods????

Faust

« Reply #1 on: 9 April 2003, 13:55 »
I think open office will install on a mac, it's pretty cool.  When the mac users come back they should have more hints...
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #2 on: 9 April 2003, 14:39 »
openoffice will run on MacOSX and even then you must be using X11 as your GUI for it to work, or so i hear.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2003, 02:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by cwedl:
When I switch to Apple this september, I will need a word processing package that will allow me insert pictures and stuff have a good spell checker and that is easy to use. I have been use to Microsoft office all my life but I don't want Microsoft Office v.x, to come near my mac, What do all of you use???

Is text Edit good to use? Appleworks? ?????

For presentations I will use Keynote!!!!!        

And also, With the panther version of os x coming out, will it just have safari, and NOT Microsoft Internet Explorer?

What do you think Of Ipods????

TextEdit is fine for simple word processing as well as inserting images. Keep in mind though that AppleWorks gives you more options and could be considered as a complete office suite.

BTW, there are some rumours that the upcoming version of OS X (codenamed Panther), will include X11, as well as a new complete office suite, called iWorks.  Safari will also replace IE as you correctly mentioned.   :D  

Eventhough I don't have Keynote, I've read that it is an excellent presentation generating app! so, I would suggest you get it!

As for iPods, sorry but I don't own one so I don't really know.   ;)

[ April 10, 2003: Message edited by: Panos ]

trc3

• http://www.sk8mafia4life.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2003, 05:37 »
iPods rule, I think its the best mp3 bottom line. I love mine.  Speaking of ipods, has anyone seen what the new ipod is supposed to look like?  They have an "artist rendering" at thinksecret.com and it looks like shit!  It still has a scroll wheel but the buttons arent around it, they're above it, I dunno I think it looks terrible.

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2003, 05:24 »
Apple works 6 should have everything one would need to compose anything document related. Text edit is good for taking notes.
All your base are belong to us.

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2003, 07:27 »
Appleworks is all you need. It can open and save Word/Excel files too.

They both come with new Macs. Textedit is extremely basic. Appleworks is a full office suite.

Keynote rocks. I just bought it a few weeks ago.

Probably.

I have a 10 GB iPod. It is the greatest thing since buttered bread (slicing bread is too useless to compare    ) It can store all of my music, and I use it in data mode to store my ripped DVDs (unfortunately I cheaped out when I bought my iBook, and didn't go for the Combo version)

Enjoy!

Yuffie

« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2003, 01:12 »
Mac OS X is bundled with alot of things your looking for.. (except Keynote i think.)

A good Office Suite is Appleworks. Its user friendly and very very capable, If your used to MS Office, then you'll love AppleWorks.

10.3 will be bundled with Safari, But for now 10.2 is bundled with MSIE 5 defaulty. Dont worry, just download safari and uninstall MSIE, its easy.

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2003, 07:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by ax0r- the Mac OS tr00p:
Dont worry, just download safari and uninstall MSIE, its easy.

Uninstall is the incorrect term, more like trash.  As in dropping it in the trash can, don't worry, no registry entries to fuck around with.

Keynote is great, I love it.
I personally think Appleworks doesn't compare to Office X, but when iWorks or whatever its called comes out, Office X is gone.
Don't got an iPod (yet) will get one on next update.

Yuffie

« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2003, 04:44 »
Yeah, thats what i meant.. Trash. =)
 Im a recent convert from PC, so excuse my stupidity =D

and trust me, a Macs all worth it.