Author Topic: Extremely Critical Hole Found!  (Read 620 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Extremely Critical Hole Found!
« on: 19 May 2004, 23:34 »

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2004, 03:27 »
Wait... is this a problem of the GUI (which is propietry) or the core (which is certified Open Source)?

Also, very weird that IE and Safari share the same problem, because their rendering system is completely different (IE has a crappy Mosaic-based engine and Safari is using KHTML).

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2004, 05:04 »
No problem here.  I use Firefox on my mac.

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2004, 11:05 »
How critical is it really?

quote:

Secunia says there's no easy way to fix the flaw but advises users not to visit "untrusted" Web sites and to not surf the Internet as a privileged user.

We already knew that Internet Deplorer sux mightily on Win-Doesn't, so how is it such a big surprise that it would suck on the Mac as well?   :eek:  

Secondly, you never run any *NIX as root.   :rolleyes:   If you make this a habit, you deserve what you get.    
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2004, 07:32 »
On Mac "root" is actually hidden.  The "Administrator" on Mac is slightly limited.  I wonder if this bug is in between that.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Paladin9

• VIP
  • Kudos: 263
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2004, 21:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:
On Mac "root" is actually hidden.  The "Administrator" on Mac is slightly limited.  I wonder if this bug is in between that.

Root is not hidden.  It is just disabled by defalt.  I have root enabled on my mac.

To create a new standard, it takes something that's not just a little bit different; it takes something that's really new and really captures people's imagination