Author Topic: tornado  (Read 915 times)

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
tornado
« on: 24 September 2002, 03:40 »
a crazy fucking tornado cut a 70 mile swath through my state of indiana on friday.  came really close to my house... about 1/4 mile.

did a lot of damage, but no one died.

right down the street, 81 houses leveled--and old, well-built houses at that.

most notable was the new vette that had the garage it was on demolished and blown away, but didn't get a scratch on it.  also, a woman and her daughter flew 300 feet in thier van and it was gently set down on it's wheels.  new windows, and it is drivable.  there is a car, upside down, tossed through a roof of a house.

crazy shit!  you euros are lucky in this respect (no tornados over there)!

anyone ever been in a tornado or monster storm?
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

caveman_piet

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.pexy.co.za
tornado
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2002, 03:54 »
that's something we very seldom get in South Africa.

Had one going past about 4 years ago - through
Midrand - creating havoc for about 10 Km.

One of the friends just returned from school
with a mini bus full of kids. She stopped and chased the kids into the house - as she went to open the gate the storm parked a massive blue-gum tree right on top of the bus - no-one got hurt. bloody scary.

How many of these things do you actually get /year
or is that per month??

I really think that's a crazy(sic) place to stay.
Best of luck.
Microsoft apparently thinks that R&D stands for 'Rewrap & Disguise'.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
tornado
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2002, 04:01 »
wow! that's a lot bigger than that earthquake they had in the english midlands that failed to even wake me up! glad to hear there were no fatalities.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
tornado
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2002, 05:43 »
Tornados are definitely the most powerful and cause much damage on a relatively small path. We do get a lot of them in my area, however I was in Myrtle Beach South Carolina for hurricane Hugo.  I would rather not have to go through anything like that again. It lasts for hours...

[ September 23, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

sporkme

tornado
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2002, 06:34 »
thing about tornados you get very short warning.  other than earthquakes, they are the worst night time disaster.

we get a lot of tornados... there is usually one somewhere on america once a week during the spring and summer.

up to our fucking ears in tornados!

basically.... a tornado is like godzilla.
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

dishawjp

• Kudos: 95
    • http://web.lemoyne/~dishawjp
tornado
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2002, 06:47 »
I've been through two of them plus a microburst, and I live in central New York State, which most people don't think of as a real tornado area.  

The first one, well, it was my first.  They had announcements of a tornado watch, and having had a few beers, I just thought that those things didn't happen here.  The power went out and I went to bed.  Did I mention I was drunk?  Anyway I got up the next morning and was surprised to see the 2' diameter maple tree by my back door had kind of snapped off about 4" from the base.  I knew there were big thunderstorms during the night but didn't think too much of it.  I pulled out of my driveway (still with a massive hangover) and saw papers and garbage and stuff all over the road.  I thought that maybe the local kids had kind of trashed the village.  A bit further down the road I saw huge gaps in the hedgerows with trees missing from them.  About that time I started wondering.  About a mile from home, there was (emphasis on the word was) a sawmill.  There was only rubble.  Long story short, one person in the village had been killed, my best friend lost the roof of his house, and I slept through it.

About 7 years ago I went through my second one.  My wife and daughters were vacationing in England.  I was home alone working to pay for their vacation :)  It was a hot evening and I was getting ready to take a shower.  I held off a bit because there was a lot of lightning.  I was sitting on my bed, no clothes on, when I heard the noise.  Then things got bad.  I tried at first to close the windows to the bedroom because so much rain was blowing in, but then the window blew out.  I was kind of running down the stairs while trying to pull a pair of jeans on as the whole damned house was shaking and sounding like it would come apart at the seams.  By time I made it to the cellar, it was over.  No power or phone.  Fun stuff.  My driveway was blocked by fallen trees, and even if I had gotten out of my driveway, the road was blocked by more downed trees.

My last similar experience was in 1998 when we had what is locally known as "The Labor Day Storm."  Not technically a tornado, they called it a microburst.  It put a good sized tree into my bedroom and turned my wife's car into a pretzel.  It blew down a large building the College I work at was building at the time, a new performing arts center and did other minor damage as well. The College was without power for 2 days.  I would have been without power for longer than that if I didn't have a generator.

Yeah, I love those things... 'bout as much as I love M$ Windoze.

Jim

sporkme

tornado
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2002, 13:56 »
that's a hell of a time to be drunken sleeping

that's a hell of a time to be naked

that's a hell of a set of storm experiences

there was a minor tornado that passed the bext ridge east of us when i was backpacking in kentucky... no basement in a tent - we all ran down the hill into the creekbed.

creedon

tornado
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2002, 19:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by DOSman:
I've been through two of them plus a microburst, and I live in central New York State, which most people don't think of as a real tornado area.  

The first one, well, it was my first.  They had announcements of a tornado watch, and having had a few beers, I just thought that those things didn't happen here.  The power went out and I went to bed.  Did I mention I was drunk?  Anyway I got up the next morning and was surprised to see the 2' diameter maple tree by my back door had kind of snapped off about 4" from the base.  I knew there were big thunderstorms during the night but didn't think too much of it.  I pulled out of my driveway (still with a massive hangover) and saw papers and garbage and stuff all over the road.  I thought that maybe the local kids had kind of trashed the village.  A bit further down the road I saw huge gaps in the hedgerows with trees missing from them.  About that time I started wondering.  About a mile from home, there was (emphasis on the word was) a sawmill.  There was only rubble.  Long story short, one person in the village had been killed, my best friend lost the roof of his house, and I slept through it.

About 7 years ago I went through my second one.  My wife and daughters were vacationing in England.  I was home alone working to pay for their vacation :)  It was a hot evening and I was getting ready to take a shower.  I held off a bit because there was a lot of lightning.  I was sitting on my bed, no clothes on, when I heard the noise.  Then things got bad.  I tried at first to close the windows to the bedroom because so much rain was blowing in, but then the window blew out.  I was kind of running down the stairs while trying to pull a pair of jeans on as the whole damned house was shaking and sounding like it would come apart at the seams.  By time I made it to the cellar, it was over.  No power or phone.  Fun stuff.  My driveway was blocked by fallen trees, and even if I had gotten out of my driveway, the road was blocked by more downed trees.

My last similar experience was in 1998 when we had what is locally known as "The Labor Day Storm."  Not technically a tornado, they called it a microburst.  It put a good sized tree into my bedroom and turned my wife's car into a pretzel.  It blew down a large building the College I work at was building at the time, a new performing arts center and did other minor damage as well. The College was without power for 2 days.  I would have been without power for longer than that if I didn't have a generator.

Yeah, I love those things... 'bout as much as I love M$ Windoze.

Jim

I SLEPT through the Labor day storm; my wife never lets me forget it.  What was real strange, we had one of those cheap-assed pavilions that you buy at discount stores for covering a picnic table, and having cookouts and the like; right next to the pavilion, a 18" pine was snapped off, but that crappy little pavilion wasn't even touched.
I'm SERIOUS about Linux; are you??

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
tornado
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2002, 22:23 »
lucky me i live just out of tornado alley. In chicago we get large storms but most tornados occur roughly 20 miles out of range.
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

sporkme

tornado
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2002, 10:08 »
thats what we all thought

it's been since '84 that a tornado touched this (capital) county or any surrounding counties.  this is the most expensive storm ever inthis state, and nearly equals the worsts in surrounding states.

Maniaman

tornado
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2002, 07:05 »
I remember that storm too.  game about 15 miles away from hitting me... Closest I've ever been to a tornado. Oh well... It got me out of class for about 30 minutes  
I use my hotmail email on here to keep from begin spammed by trolls. If you want my good email address for something then ask... :)