Author Topic: Help with VMWare  (Read 414 times)

billy_gates

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Help with VMWare
« on: 22 April 2003, 04:35 »
I need help installing VMWare.  I installed the RPM fine.  I ran vmware-config.pl and it said I need a GCC compiler, so I tried to install it with the RPM Package Manager, it said I was missing krb5-lib and openssl.  So I went into Synaptic and got it.  I reran vmware-config.pl and now it asks "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel?"  It has a default directory of "[/usr/src/linux/include]" but when i press enter it asks again.  I checked and the directory doesn't exist.  I went back into the package manager and tried to install the development tools and the kernel development tools.  It said I don't have krb5 and openssl again.  I checked synaptic and I actually have newer versions of those two things that what it is looking for.  I think that is why it can't find them.  So I'm stuck.  VMWare doesn't recognize my kernel and can't build a config for a new one because I can't install the developer tools becauase part of the developer tools are too new.  BTW the kernel is the upgraded one, that I got from the System Update.

For now I'm just gonna boot into the old kernel and see what happens.  If someone can tell me how to fix this, I'll go into the upgraded kernel.  If you ever remember my old fights about linux, this is a big time one.  But I won't continue, I just want help.

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Help with VMWare
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2003, 04:53 »
What you need to do here is uninstall all that stuff you tried installing. Once that's done, you need to grab GCC and the development libs off your distro's install CDs. The ones you want end with "-devel". These have to be in place first, before you try installing the new soft. Otherwise, the install won't work as the ld (shared library loader) won't have them registered with it. Then try doing the install and see if anything needs upgrading.

"There: now you'll never have to look at those dirty Windows anymore"
      --Daffy Duck    :D
Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

billy_gates

Help with VMWare
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2003, 06:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by jtpenrod:
What you need to do here is uninstall all that stuff you tried installing. Once that's done, you need to grab GCC and the development libs off your distro's install CDs. The ones you want end with "-devel". These have to be in place first, before you try installing the new soft. Otherwise, the install won't work as the ld (shared library loader) won't have them registered with it. Then try doing the install and see if anything needs upgrading.

But it recognized the compiler.  First it gave me an error bout the compiler, then I installed it and it gave me an error about kernel c header files.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Help with VMWare
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2003, 07:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Gates: Mac Comrade Captain:

But it recognized the compiler.  First it gave me an error bout the compiler, then I installed it and it gave me an error about kernel c header files.

Have you installed the kernel source or just the kernel headers? The latter only won't do the job and that's why it won't compile. You can install the kernel source from your install CDs as well as every other dev tool, including the gcc compiler, which I read you have.

billy_gates

Help with VMWare
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2003, 08:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:

Have you installed the kernel source or just the kernel headers? The latter only won't do the job and that's why it won't compile. You can install the kernel source from your install CDs as well as every other dev tool, including the gcc compiler, which I read you have.

And like I said above, I can't use the add/remove programs thing because it says I don't have kbr5-libs or openssl, even though I do, just newer versions.