Author Topic: Thinking of buying a mac..  (Read 1141 times)

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Thinking of buying a mac..
« on: 29 June 2002, 07:10 »
The question is, eMac or iMac?

ravuya

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2002, 08:56 »
eMac. Bigger, crisper screen and IMHO a better case design than the new iMac (which I think, while a lot better than most PC cases, is utterly ridiculous looking and has no place alongside my platoon of machines).

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2002, 10:00 »
Yeah, I was thinking eMac aswell. The iMac looks like a face  

bigmuddy

« Reply #3 on: 1 July 2002, 00:24 »
I was thinking of buying an eMac, too, until I saw this.  I don't know anything about the benchmark software, but the eMac comes out pretty low. Anyone know why?
Other World Computing  :confused:

cocoamix

« Reply #4 on: 1 July 2002, 01:58 »
Those eMac benchmark results look pretty screwy to me.
Benchmark tests are notoriously subjective things though and most are pretty inaccurate in many ways.
*shrug*

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #5 on: 1 July 2002, 03:04 »
I dunno. It depend's what you are going to do with the thing, I have used it, it's pretty speedy. I have no clue as to why it rated so low.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

bigmuddy

« Reply #6 on: 1 July 2002, 07:34 »
I thought the results were weird, too. Are there any other reports (benchmark, subjective impressions, whatever) on the performance of the emac that you guys know about?
Pysy, what was your experience with it? A quick demo, or did you run some apps?

ravuya

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 1 July 2002, 20:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by steve:
I thought the results were weird, too. Are there any other reports (benchmark, subjective impressions, whatever) on the performance of the emac that you guys know about?
Pysy, what was your experience with it? A quick demo, or did you run some apps?

The eMac has the same L3 cache as is found in the high-end towers, the iMac only has L2 cache. I don't know if that will change, but currently the eMac is a lot faster than the iMac. Cache makes a difference.

bigmuddy

« Reply #8 on: 1 July 2002, 23:15 »
quote:
 The eMac has the same L3 cache as is found in the high-end towers, the iMac only has L2 cache. I don't know if that will change, but currently the eMac is a lot faster than the iMac. Cache makes a difference.

I'm looking at the spec sheets from Apple here and both the i- and e- macs are shown with 256K L2 cache at processor speed. The only differences I can see performance-wise is the imac is avail. @ 800MHz and with 256MB RAM pre-installed. emac has 2 mem slots accessable to the user, the imac, one. Both support up to 1 GB. Same video specs, too.
I'm guessing, as others have said, that the posted results by users of the BM software are flawed for whatever reason. The BM software may also be wacked.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #9 on: 2 July 2002, 02:03 »
Hey, I used the eMac to just try it out. I browsed the web, played some games, and just generaly dicked around with OSX.

I didn't do anything too intensive, but everything I did do ran very smoothly, just as well as my dual 800Mhz, no notsable slowness.

Whatever you get, get the least amount of RAM from Apple, your better off buying your own. Apple WAY overcharges for the stuff.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR