Author Topic: Mac OS X vs Longhorn  (Read 1030 times)

mushrooomprince

• Kudos: 55
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« on: 10 October 2003, 05:39 »

quote:
Q: But Mac OS X already has a lot of these features. What's the big deal?

A: Apple has implemented some basic desktop composition features in Mac OS X "Panther," due this fall, and they appear to be quite impressive. But the basic problem with Mac OS X isn't going away: It's a classic desktop operating system that doesn't offer anything in the way of usability advancements over previous desktop operating systems. Today, Windows XP and its task-based interface are far superior to anything in Mac OS X. In the future, Longhorn will further distance Windows from OS X. From a graphical standpoint, there won't be any comparison. Expect to be pleasantly surprised--dare I say "blown away"--when the Longhorn UI is revealed in October.

but more specifically im looking at :  
quote:
It's a classic desktop operating system that doesn't offer anything in the way of usability advancements over previous desktop operating systems  

What the fuck is he talking about ? Usability advancements ? Thats a major problem  with mac os ?    Any troll here would argue that this is not Mac OS's major problem.

[ October 09, 2003: Message edited by: mushrooomprince ]

All your base are belong to us.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2003, 06:13 »
Task-based OS? Pschaw. I used both XP and Longhorn, and there's nowhere as good as OS X. Who needs tasks when one can just slide an icon over an app?

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2003, 06:22 »
How can a person write an unbiased comparison when Longhorn isn't even anywhere near being gold? Longhorn isn't even Beta yet. It is still alpha as is Aero and everything else in it.

I'd call writing up a comparison involving an Alpha OS a bad display of character.

Laukev7

• VIP
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2003, 08:25 »
I was talking about both XP and Longhorn, not just Longhorn.

Mac OS X alpha (the Rhapsody version) was much better for its time than Longhorn is now. It was slow, like Longhorn, but that is not the point; the NeXTish interface was innovative even before being replaced by Aqua. I am talking about the direction where the OS is heading, and having tried both XP and Longhorn, I find the interface even worse than XP. It's not just the looks and the speed that is the problem, it's the way things are managed in Longhorn that I dislike.

It's becoming more and more like a 'bureaucratic' OS, where ease of use means restriction of choices, rather than making things fundamentally easier, like Mac OS does. Task interfaces tend to be less flexible and give a limited number of choices, whereas Mac OS concentrates on making it easier for the users to do the tasks or configure their system themselves, thus giving them more liberty.

preacher

• VIP
  • Kudos: 107
    • http://kansascity.cjb.net
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2003, 08:29 »
Windows XP is no more usable than Mandrake Linux. My friend who knows nothing about linux, uses my pc to browse the web, play games like RTCW, downloads music, and burns CD's. Contrary to popular belief, he wasnt frustrated by how complicated Linux was, he mainly noticed that things were different than in Windows XP.
Kansas City Hustle
http://kansascity.cjb.net

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2003, 21:06 »
ya.

besides, I don't think either method is better than the other. Apple has tried and true methods, and they stick to them. there's no reason to change things beyond appearance and polish, because the methods WORK.

MS isn't fucking up, task-based UIs aren't "bad"... they're honestly a little better for first time users, as they feel like "oh, it's holding my hand"... but task UIs are gonna be annoying for power users, I think. And it's also going to be frustrating for people in the middle-ground who know what they're doing, but don't power use. they'll think "man, I'm sick of wizards treating me like a noob"

both methods work, and work equally well. neither one is any more or less viable than the other.

and LH still isn't anywhere near being ready to look at. by Beta 1, we'll be able to see where it's heading.
Go the fuck ~

The Anti-Microsoft

• Kudos: 0
    • http://slashdot.org
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2003, 01:01 »
quote:
In the future, Longhorn will further distance Windows from OS X.

Yeah.  It will further distance Windows backwards from Mac OS X.

mushrooomprince

Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2003, 02:52 »
You don't get my point.  I'm trying to challenge what the writer of that article said when he wrote:  
quote:
 It's a classic desktop operating system that doesn't offer anything in the way of usability advancements over previous desktop operating systems

shortnfunny88

• http://under construction...will post later
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2003, 06:26 »
I can barely stand reading it.
And the evilness is seeping!

mushrooomprince

Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2003, 08:04 »
The point is, is that these people have no valid arguments against Mac OS X.  It has some disadvantages this is true.  But the pros out weigh the cons on the mac os.

Laukev7

• VIP
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2003, 08:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by mushrooomprince:
You don't get my point.  I'm trying to challenge what the writer of that article said when he wrote:  

As I said, there is nothing revolutionary about tasks. Any wizard-based programme could be considered task-based, and even command-line applications can be considered task-based.

Basically, a task-based interface means giving a set of explicit choices to the user. For example:

'What do you want to do?

-Write a letter;
-Browse on the Web;
-Listen to music;
-Play a game;
-Organise pictures

Then, the user choses 'play a game'. Then, he gets more choices, like 'What kind of game do you want to play', and so on. While this looks like an easy approach at first sight, it has two major drawbacks:

1- It limits what users can do with their computer.

2- It makes it more difficult for users to learn how their system works.

Many interface designers have the unfortunate habit of overrelying on wizards to make their applications easier to use, but don't bother to actually simply the interface (I've seen this often, and the result is not pretty).

As a result, the user is used to do their work by selecting options, and never learns how computers really works.

So, what if he wants to do something slightly more sophisticated not on the menu, or wants a shorter way to do a certain task than going through the same wizard / contextual menu over and over again? The user eventually has to learn the more refined aspects of the system / software (if such alternatives are available), and since for months, if not years, he has been instructed to select 'send photo to Mike' without knowing what's going on, then he'll have a hard time learning how to open a mail app and send it himself, especially if the designer of the mail app didn't bother to simplify the interface. That is assuming that the user will even have the option of using an interface directly instead of a wizard (or whatever task-based system).

Moreover, since he is used to selecting pre-fabricated options, the user, having developped unhealthy habits from the beginning, won't even think about better ways to get their work done, and will never think outside the box. In fact, they may even be afraid of trying new methods.

On a Mac, the whole process is simplified, in such a way that you never need to learn a more direct, less limiting method than what you're already using, since you've been using it from the beginning. The conceptors of the OS have made an effort to make all options available to the user and easily accessible, and located according to importance, relevance or difficulty.

To sum it up, the Mac makes it easier for you to control the computer, whereas on Windows (and yes, many Linux distros as well), it's the system that tells you what to do (remember my old sig? 'On Microsoft Windows, system operates YOU!'). Tasks, menus and wizards will never beat flexibility, simplicity and consistency.

billy_gates

• http://www.skinner.com/jeffberg
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2003, 11:54 »
serisouly... a well designed UI does not need to be task based.  If I want to browse the web instead of clicking something that says I want to browse the web, and then picking a search engine.  I just click the OmniWeb icon at the bottom of my screen.

It would suck to do "I want to write a letter" then "I want to write an essay"  "I want to write a research based essay"  bam word opens up and goes into its normal thing.  Or.... I could just open Word.

The tast based thing will get in the way.  And any user who knows what he is doing will turn it off right away.

shortnfunny88

• http://under construction...will post later
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #12 on: 18 October 2003, 03:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by mushrooomprince:
The point is, is that these people have no valid arguments against Mac OS X.  It has some disadvantages this is true.  But the pros out weigh the cons on the mac os.

Exactly! Their arguements lie in what the desktop looks like and just the whole visual aspect (I doubt I am making much sense) but I agree; there are no valid arguements against OS X.
And the evilness is seeping!

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #13 on: 18 October 2003, 03:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sayr:

Exactly! Their arguements lie in what the desktop looks like and just the whole visual aspect (I doubt I am making much sense) but I agree; there are no valid arguements against OS X.

see my thread here on Lognhorn and colour:

http://forum.microsuck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000717
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
Mac OS X vs Longhorn
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2003, 03:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zardoz:

see my post here on Lognhorn and colour: