Author Topic: Comparison Mac OS X vs Windows  (Read 1014 times)

cahult

• VIP
  • Kudos: 182
Comparison Mac OS X vs Windows
« on: 5 June 2002, 07:31 »
http://www.lowendmac.com/practical/02/0604.html

Please note: This is NOT a scientific study, it
"The gentleman is dead, the feminists killed him" Anonymous

ravuya

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 5 June 2002, 18:23 »
The MacAddict one was funnier.

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #2 on: 7 June 2002, 03:33 »
Frankly Windows XP is much better than Mac OS X.  The interface is much cleaner and it practically sets everything up for you. (which is what most end-users desire)  You don't have to break your bank account buying the hardware, either.  Plus, it contains the breakthrough innovations of Internet Explorer and Windows Media, which have been at the forefront of their respected fields for some time now.  Quicktime simply doesn't compare to WMP, and IE continues to improve by leaps and bounds while the "competition" lags behind.  IE may correct HTML errors to render pages better, but I see this as an innovation, not a problem.  I guarantee if Mozilla did this you would be praising shit all over it and ranting about how poorly IE rendered pages.  Hypocrites.

I don't care if AOL is embracing Mozilla; I don't use them and they are complete idiots anyway.

IE is not built into the Windows OS, nor is Windows required to run it, as some of you morons have indicated.  IE is available for Mac (but it sucks on it, probably due to the Mac's poor OS design) and UNIX, and there are programs you can download to remove IE from your system if it so offends you.  Furthermore, in Windows XP you can easily uninstall IE in the "add/remove programs" section under the control panel. now you're just blatantly flaming us. you were annoying before, but now you've crossed a line.

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: Ravuya ]

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: Ravuya ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #3 on: 7 June 2002, 03:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:
Frankly Windows XP is much better than Mac OS X.  The interface is much cleaner and it practically sets everything up for you. (which is what most end-users desire)  You don't have to break your bank account buying the hardware, either.  Plus, it contains the breakthrough innovations of Internet Explorer and Windows Media, which have been at the forefront of their respected fields for some time now.  Quicktime simply doesn't compare to WMP, and IE continues to improve by leaps and bounds while the "competition" lags behind.
haven't you ever heard of freedom of choice? i think people who do not agree with freedom of choice should have no choice but to be shot in the head.  
quote:
IE may correct HTML errors to render pages better
it does not. It supports broken nonstandard html in a bid to create ructions amongst those who choose to code in correct html rather than Microsoft html. There would be no errors in html to start with if it were not for Microsoft frontpage, idiot.
quote:
, but I see this as an innovation, not a problem.  I guarantee if Mozilla did this you would be praising shit all over it and ranting about how poorly IE rendered pages.  Hypocrites.
bullshit. And don't call us hypocrites, moron. You fail, as usual to back up your so called convictions. How much are you getting an hour for this, anyway, dumbass? you seem determined to fill up these forums with rubbish.

quote:

I don't care if AOL is embracing Mozilla; I don't use them and they are complete idiots anyway.

and i don't care what you have to say so fuck off.
quote:

IE is not built into the Windows OS, nor is Windows required to run it, as some of you morons have indicated.
yes it is. And don't call me a moron, you imbecilic fucktard.  
quote:
IE is available for Mac (but it sucks on it, probably due to the Mac's poor OS design)
it's better than its shitty windows version, due to many factors, but it is still slow and shit.  
quote:
and UNIX,
you mean there's a binary available for AIX. That's hardly grounds for saying it can be run on unix.  
quote:
and there are programs you can download to remove IE from your system if it so offends you.
aha! you can't say that! Microsoft denies this completely. Anyway, windows deliberately deletes "important" dlls if you try and remove iexplore.  
quote:
Furthermore,
big words now, eh? nobody's fooled...
quote:
in Windows XP you can easily uninstall IE in the "add/remove programs" section under the control panel.
i do not believe this for a second. It seems you have no experience with windows XP, let alone any of the other OSs you deride completely out of hand. If you can indeed remove IE using windows, then why are Microsoft busy spending a lot of time and money in court trying to convince the US government that this is in fact impossible?

moron.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Heru

« Reply #4 on: 7 June 2002, 05:27 »
If you unistall IE using one of these third party rograms windows seems to remove a couple dlls that are needed for programs like Windws Media Player or Outlook.  MS seems to want you to use all of their software or none at all.  And I have plenty of experience with XP(I used it for 5 months), you can not uninstall IE; and SP1 will simply let yu hide it, you will have to leave it installed and wasting space.

And MS released a binary of IE 4 for AIX as a 'test'.  It isn't even available anymore, and not supported by them either.  Also it won't work on anything but AIX.

BTW- I have used the Mac version of IE, and it is actually better than the Windows version.  It still sucks compared to Opera, but hell it is an improvement.

I don't think anyone ever said you need Windows to run IE.  I believe we have said you need IE to run Windows properly.  Windows will not funtion to its fullest without IE, unless you replace the shell.  So in order to not use IE on you windows 2000 or lower system, you need to not use Explorer as your shell if you want it to work properly.  XP however is a different beast altogether.

And about the hardware prices.  I can get a nice new Imac G3 with OSX for $700.  Doesn't seem as though I'd have to break the bank to get a mac.

And Mac's interface is cleaner and simpler.  Compare the two, MacOSX is easier to use then XP, and MacOSX is based on unix making it very secure and stable.

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: Heru ]

gothwer

« Reply #5 on: 7 June 2002, 06:21 »
quote:
i do not believe this for a second. It seems you have no experience with windows XP, let alone any of the other OSs you deride completely out of hand. If you can indeed remove IE using windows, then why are Microsoft busy spending a lot of time and money in court trying to convince the US government that this is in fact impossible?
moron.

You are indeed a true idiot. I guess I must guide you with baby steps through the process, and it is obvious you have never even tried XP; instead, you lie in your cold room and tweak your 486 so it can run in a bare text shell of UNIX.

Press "Start"
Press "Settings"
Press "Control Panel"
Press "Add/Remove Programs"
Press "Add/Remove Windows Components"
Uncheck Internet Explorer.

Wow, was that SO hard? Apparently so.
  :confused:
Work Slave - Tux

Heru

« Reply #6 on: 7 June 2002, 06:25 »
Cocaine, if what you say is true, then why does MS claim to the US government that IE can't be removed?!?!  Answer this please.  Why would MS say this to the DOJ if it can infact be done?

gothwer

« Reply #7 on: 7 June 2002, 06:33 »
Then how come I just did remove it? Huh?

And when was this said by Microsoft? BEFORE Xp was released I'm betting. And BEFORE Xp, you COULDN'T remove IE without strenuous hacking.
Blah.

Edit: I would like to see the exact quote from MS saying you can't remove IE. And also when this was said, if you can dig that up.

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: Cocaine Elephant ]

Work Slave - Tux

Heru

« Reply #8 on: 7 June 2002, 06:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Cocaine Elephant:
Then how come I just did remove it? Huh?

And when was this said by Microsoft? BEFORE Xp was released I'm betting. And BEFORE Xp, you COULDN'T remove IE without strenuous hacking.
Blah.

Actually they were recently battling it out in court.  Only about a month ago actually.

Do you by chance have the beta of SP1?  It's the only thing I can think of that might let you do that.

gothwer

« Reply #9 on: 7 June 2002, 06:38 »
Whats SP1?     :D    

No, I just removed it with the add/remove windows components thingie.

quote:
Complete lockup, blue screen of death (Windows), other situations resulting in computer non-responsiveness. Crashes or problems so severe that the only way to recover was to turn off the power and turn it back on.
Performance seriously compromised, reboot required to restore normal functionality. Severe crashes, but ones which allowed restarting using normal methods.
Performance impaired, able to continue working in some form, but reboot advisable. Crashes, but crashes which allow some sort of continued use of the computer.
Other anomalies. Misc. problems, oddities, and other things that make you say, "Huh?" Reboot not required, perhaps not even beneficial.
Discretionary reboots. Usually, restarts required as a result of installing software, updates, or changing settings.

Weird, I've had this since Christmas and not yet have I see a blue screen, or any bugs at all. I'm going to leave this comp on, and see if it actually locks up/reboots/yada.

Edit:
WMP, however, was not under the list.    :mad:  
But it doesn't really matter, a quick download of Winamp fixes that.

PS. I think Calum may pop a blood vessel. His rant shows much anger in him.

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: Cocaine Elephant ]

Work Slave - Tux

CommonSense

• VIP
    • http://www.microsuck.com
« Reply #10 on: 7 June 2002, 08:44 »
quote:

Weird, I've had this since Christmas and not yet have I see a blue screen, or any bugs at all. I'm going to leave this comp on, and see if it actually locks up/reboots/yada.

Of course you haven't had a blue screen; XP doesn't do that (by default) -- it just quietly reboots the entire system, with no warning whatsoever.  Gee, that's a hell of an improvement.

Now for MY meaningless, anecdotal case study:  I've had XP on a Dell Dimension for about the same time you have.  I've also had OS X on a G4 Cube since last March.

I use the Cube every single day, for up to 10 hours a day.  (Yes, I have no life.)  I run everything on it -- from simple web browsers up to Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.  Normally, I'll have LOTS of applications running at the same time.  The Cube is my desktop machine, my workstation, the one where I do just about everything when I'm at home.  It has lots of sotware installed on it, including a number of third-party apps that modify low-level parts of the system (often considered to be a main cause of system instability).

At night, I put the system in sleep mode (instead of turning it off), and wake it every morning, so its uptime routinely goes over a month, until I apply an OS upgrade that requires reboot.

Since March, 2001, this Cube has had precisely ONE kernel panic (i.e., whole-OS crash).  ONE.

And now, the Dell.  A nice Dimension, considered an excellent machine built with high-quality parts (by PC standards, anyway).  Certainly not some cheap Taiwanese no-name Frankenbox.  I do not use this machine much; often, 5-6 days will go by where I don't even turn it on.  It's NOT a primary machine for me, by any means.  So, naturally, I haven't installed too many applications on it, and no low-level tweaks or hacks at all.  So it's very close to a virginal, factory-fresh install of Windows XP.

In the last seven or eight months, in just the times I've actually USED this machine (running Windows XP Professional), it has spontaneously rebooted (i.e., full-OS crash) four or five times.  FOUR OR FIVE.

The OS X machine is worked to death, every day, and has a hell of a lot more stuff installed on it.  It gets put to the test HEAVILY.  It performs beautifully.

The Dell, running XP, lives an incredibly easy, pampered life, with a very clean install of the OS -- by every normal indicator, it should be ROCK SOLID.  It's far from it.

Your witness, counselor.

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #11 on: 7 June 2002, 08:59 »
Cocain:

As I understand it, the uninstall/add feture mearly hides IE and dosn't erase it from your system. In any case, XP still loses functionality with the lose of IE.

That is my understanding.
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

gothwer

« Reply #12 on: 7 June 2002, 19:17 »
Thats sick, it DOES just hide it

Why would you just want to HIDE IE but not delete it?

My computer has never quietly rebooted either
Work Slave - Tux

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #13 on: 7 June 2002, 19:28 »
quote:
Thats sick, it DOES just hide it

Why would you just want to HIDE IE but not delete it?

My computer has never quietly rebooted either

That's a damn good question.

In a settlement with one of the states, M$ agreed to put a feture in the installer of XP that would allow you to select diffrent install modes, sucha s "standard Microsoft", or "non-Microsoft".

The "non-microsoft" Install proported to let you not install certain programs like IE, or WMP, but as it turned out those programms were still installed on the harddrive, they were just made invisible. Eating up precious HD space without any function whatsoever.

I still don't understand the logic behind this. Anyone?
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #14 on: 7 June 2002, 20:06 »
quote:
You are indeed a true idiot.
no, you are the only true idiot here, as you will proceed to prove  
quote:
I guess I must guide you with baby steps through the process,
you don't have to do anything of the sort since i will never own XP nor hopefully use it  
quote:
and it is obvious you have never even tried XP;
wow. you sure are perceptive. Did you figure that out by the way i often say things like "I will never own nor hopefully use windows XP"?
quote:
instead, you lie in your cold room and tweak your 486 so it can run in a bare text shell of UNIX.
i have a shitty laptop with crappy video card, audio card and modem made by SiS, the CPU is an 850Mhz P3. Who cares? and it dual boots between mandrake 8.2 and windows millenium. Not my choice, my hardware has no win98 drivers in many cases. Why did you even bring this drivel up?

quote:
Press "Start"
Press "Settings"
Press "Control Panel"
Press "Add/Remove Programs"
Press "Add/Remove Windows Components"
Uncheck Internet Explorer.

i'll just add that since you are proved to be a complete loudmouthed knownothing dipshit in the posts which succeeded this one, i will let these moronic instructions pass for the laughable joke they truly are. At least winME is honest by not even allowing you to uninstall WMP and IE, let alone MSNmessenger or outlook, even though they are both optional components at install time (install time being a regular occurence with winME)

quote:
Wow, was that SO hard? Apparently so.

You are talking to yourself again, this is not the "windows dumbass, where's my ass give me the map" forum, it is the MAC forum. Right? MAC OS got it? i am posting on a mac with WMP and IE, i downloaded them and installed them myself to give them the benefit of the doubt. Sorry, they are slow and they suck. Quicktime, Opera and mozilla are better. As has been intimated before, this is a matter of personal preference and not worth bitching about. So stop.

At least on MacOS you can uninstall winblows mediocre player and internet exploder...

And that moronic comment about my anger can fuck off too. For all you know i'm sitting here drinking a martini, smoking a joint, and typing this with one finger, softly chuckling at how hot under the collar you yourself are getting over my posts!  :D

have a nice day!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism