Author Topic: smoke detector  (Read 842 times)

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
smoke detector
« on: 18 December 2002, 04:49 »
umm, correct me if i am wrong, but could'nt a weapon of mass destruction be made from these things. like a glob of explosives surrounded by the radioactive stuff. now wouln't that spread alot of radiation around/*hmm, particles in yer lungs......*/ and didn't some kid irradiate his nieghborhood with such a device or simalar
just food for thought, i wonder how long before some assclown uses one of these/*if they can be built*/

aaron, im sure you know/*or did it yourself  :D  */
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.akgames.net
smoke detector
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2002, 05:43 »
Smoke detectors use minute amounts of radioactive substances. The stuff isn't radioactive enough to cause damage unless you inhale a shitload of it (you'd die from it clogging your lungs/airways well before the radiation has any effect on you)

Besides, it would be much cheaper to buy a nuke rather than buy enough smoke detectors to have an effect on a person.

If the stuff were radioactive enough to cause damage in small amounts, you'd die making the thing.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: The Muffin Man ]

pkd_lives

smoke detector
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2002, 18:52 »
And most explosions CANNOT start a high energy nuclear reaction. The explosive material is merely an energiser for the trigger.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
smoke detector
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2002, 19:03 »
good thing too. what kind of a world would it be if terrorists started holding up planes using smoke detectors? (box cutting knives is silly enough).
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
smoke detector
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2002, 20:47 »
ya, it takes a surprising amount of radiation within you before you die.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
smoke detector
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2002, 05:52 »
Pull apart a Microwave and get the Magtron, the transformers, and you can generate plenty of Rediation. You could pull apart a monitor, use the guns that shoot the light from the back as a form of weapon. It would require you have accses to a 20000V source of electricity though.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
smoke detector
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2002, 13:39 »
the guns from a cathode ray tube monitor fire electrons, not light, and you can often convert to and from different voltages using a transformer, it's just a matter of losing or gaining amperes.
Most countries power CRT monitors off of 220-240V supplies, and they do it in the US off their 110V supplies.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
smoke detector
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2002, 15:45 »
microwave ray gun, ive always wanted to build one. then agian, i hear if you screw up building on of those, youll lose your eyes faster then killing kittens ever would becuase the eye is the right shape to be cooked or something like that. but my nieghbors probably would not like it, and it would not be "kid tested, mother approved" /*more like, kid tested, mother commited him*/
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!

pkd_lives

smoke detector
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2002, 23:06 »
Making any kind of ray gun from a CRT tube would be very hard to do, you would need a metal plate near the attacked party (and 20KV really isn't going to give you more than a destructive range of a few inches in front of the point of radiation if you use a standard CRT). And Microwaves do not contain raditation in the same terms as radioactive material. One is a result of radioactive decay of an element. And one is the result of a process that produces energy. In this case one is large nuclear raditaion the other is electromagnetic radiation.

Making a microwave gun would also be very hard for similar and many more reasons. It would be better to just smash the door of a microwave oven open and stick someones head in, and more likely to suceed. I DO NOT RECOMEND OR ENDORSE THIS BEHAVIOUR.

Your eyes are not the first or only thing to get detroyed by a microwave, it's what they do that is nasty. They warm up and slowly vibrate, to an higher and higher frequency, by this stage you are basically rendered blind, then they explode inside the sockets,  a bit like a water balloon. And it gets really nasty if you find the right resonant frequencies for the human body - but I don't want to give you nightmares.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

SpeeDFreaK

• Kudos: 109
smoke detector
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2002, 00:25 »
quote:
 good thing too. what kind of a world would it be if terrorists started holding up planes using smoke detectors? (box cutting knives is silly enough).

Yea it is, but why would you really need a boxcutter when you have the nailclippers of death!!
"George Bush says 'we are losing the war on drugs'. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative motherfuckers on that side."  --Bill Hicks

DC

smoke detector
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2002, 00:50 »
You could use certain radio isotopes to build a nucleair breeding reactor, and purify the plutonium, THEN build a nuke.

Of course, you'll die of radiation poisoning unless you have some billion-dollar equipment.
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
smoke detector
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2002, 01:50 »
fuckit, lets make a chicken gun (like that (gamecube?) game) that can turn people into chickens.
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me